Monday, March 29, 2010

Ethics of Political Campaigns on Facebook

I was browsing through the ole facebook this afternoon when I arrived at a perplexing ethics issue, no really. Here it is:

Fan pages for candidates that have status updates in first person.

EXAMPLE:

Mississippi Guesser: I will fight for my constituents against the [insert scare tactic du jour]. I will stand up for you when [insert similar candidate that also believes in big government] is ignoring your vote and destroying America.

I don't see any problem with this practice if the candidate is making his posts in first person, but what about when someone else is managing the site for him and makes posts in first person? Have television campaign ads ever used another person's voice presented as the candidate's?

As a law school student who has been exposed to numerous ethics lectures, I'd like to know what people think.

No comments:

Post a Comment